i´m hiding out in the big city blinking.

a blog post emerges from the silence.

in a few short hours (when i run out of things to do online, really), i´ll be headed to the lima (not ohio!) airport. it´s been a long and great ride down south america way, but it has to end somewhere, and i am exceedingly, excessively, stupendously and, for good measure, really excited to go home and find out what the next bit of my life will look like.

don't expect the pictures and posts to come back too rapidly. i´ve got some loved ones to hang out with.

in the meantime, here are a couple quotes i´ve been carrying with me for a spell on this trip. they are among the things bouncing about my head.

marcel proust says:
the only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes but in having new eyes, in seeing the universe with the eyes of another, of hundreds of others, in seeing the hundreds of universes that each of them sees.

and t.s. eliot says:
we shall never cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.

i get the feeling this won't be the end of my travels. i better keep that ridiculously heavy backpack of mine handy.

and now, seeing as how i have a penchant for lists and you apparently have a penchant for reading, i offer you a list of top ten things looked forward to in regards to my arrival home (because trust me, dear reader, i am sure i will write plenty about how much i miss central/south america). numbered but in no particular order, they are as follows:
1. my peeps (the family and friends, not the marshmallows).
2. holding an american newspaper and receiving mail through the postal service.
3. much less rice and much more california taco.
4. spring mornings, summer nights and the change of seasons.
5. NO MORE reggae tone and in its stead, my records. oh, how i´ve missed my records with my dorky headphones and the 1970s speakers i´ve ¨borrowed¨ from my pops.
6. riding my bike and joining the ymca.
7. exploring, learning, studying, breathing art, photography, life and everything that gets in between.
8. concerts, namely morrissey at the orpheum, bright eyes at the holland center and wilco in the quad cities of all places.
9. new travels to visit my peeps (again, not the marshmallows) in other states.
10. my clean sheets on my bed in my clean pajamas.

oh, and for good measure, here is one more quote:
¨logic! understanding! trust! then what is there for me in america?¨
--herbert gold, from his short story ¨all married women are bad, yes?¨

post script: kris, of course you get a shout out. i´m going to miss the hell out of you for the next few months. thank you for everything.